Tycho Supernova Remnant. Credit: NASA/CXC/Rutgers/J.Warren & J.Hughes et al.
Why come to Rutgers?
Award winning senior and junior faculty
- Prominent efforts in Astrophysics, Biophysics, Condensed Matter, High Energy Physics, Nuclear Physics
- Home of the Moore Foundation Center for Quantum Materials Synthesis
- Strong collaboration with Simons Foundation Flatiron Institute Centers in Computational Astrophysics, Biology, and Quantum Physics
- Curriculum of core courses in first year, followed by qualifier, research, and advanced courses in subsequent years
- A decade ago we threw out the old written / oral qualifier system and replaced it with one more tailored to what you will have to do professionally: you write a paper, give a talk, and answer questions
- Excellent student to faculty ratio of below 2:1
- For Ph.D. students who entered the program from 2007-2011, 80 of 94 (85%) have succesfully defended their Ph.D. dissertations, 7 left the program with M.S. degrees, 3 left the program with no degree, and 4 remain in the program. For the years 2007-2017, we awarded about 75% as many Ph.D.'s as we had entering Ph.D. students.
- Average time to Ph.D.: about 6 years
- About half of graduates become postdocs; about half move to full time positions in industry
- Our active Graduate Student Organization (GSO) arranges mock quals, a seminar series, and parties and other recreational activities
- A welcoming community, with an active graduate student led minorities in physics group: http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/rumipa/
- Shared graduate student office wing encourages collaboration in classwork
- A large, excellent group of undergraduates to work with on research
- Culturally rich area, with Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers, and the State Theater of New Jersey in New Brunswick
- Nearly midway between New York City and Philadelphia (about an hour from each, public transit available)
- Nearby beaches for recreation during the summer, ski areas for during the winter, and local parks for all year round
- Wide variety of cuisines in local restaurants, along with excellent breweries